The Area Planner is responsible for generating revenue and profit growth by filling empty miles and increasing the utilization of the Brown Trucking Company fleet. This position will work with all fleet managers to identify empty lanes and excess equipment capacity. In turn this position will negotiate market rates for loads with customers, shippers and brokers for freight backhauls. The ideal candidate will have previous planning experience with freight transportation. The Area Planner will promote and assure a safe operation of all vehicles and develop a safety-first culture in all terminals.
· Identify and coordinate relationships with freight brokers and shippers.
· Identify empty lanes and maintain a tracking list.
· Develop list of target shippers and brokers; receive lead and contact information from a variety of sources; and secure loads that can be effectively handled by the fleet.
· Identify and maintain database of shippers as potential freight sources.
· Ensure loads are picked up and delivered timely; ensuring billing is processed accurately and timely.
· Understand needs of the company’s location fleet, servicing loads with prompt and courteous response regarding pick-up and delivery time and invoicing.
· Work with Fleet Managers to overcome restrictions that may prohibit backhauls.
· Solicit brokers and shippers, quote rates.
· Execute load moves working between shippers and operations.
· Function as a single point of contact for contracted backhaul customers to resolve issues.
· Identify process improvement opportunities in freight coordination activities
· Operate legally according to local, state and federal laws and regulations at all times.
· Assist other terminals with day to day functions as needed.
· Perform additional related duties and assignments as directed by management.
· Bachelor’s degree or 5+ years of relevant industry experience.
· Five years of planning dry van, full truck load freight desired.
· Brokerage experience preferred
· Logistics related experience preferred
· Ability to negotiate required
· Successful track record of building relationships with customers
· Ability to drive results and bring viable solutions
· Ability to problem solve in a creative manner as required
· Willingness to travel as necessary
· Strong leadership skills.
· Interpersonal and communication skills.
· Knowledge of all Federal HOS, Safety, and Regulatory issues in transportation.
· Command strong analytical talents
· Microsoft Office functions with emphasis on Excel knowledge.
· Work closely with other departments (Sales, Safety, and Human Resources)
Environment and Physical Requirements:
The majority of the work week will be in office with occasional travel by automobile/plane as needed. Duties to include administrative functions using the phone, computer and communicating with people. This job will require lifting of up to 50 pounds. Must be able to sit a minimum of 8 hours per day, perform keyboard operations a minimum of 6 hours per day, and must be able to stand and climb stairs as required. There will be bending of the waist, wrist and shoulders. Position will be exposed to heavy duty tractor/trailer diesel fumes, dust and noise.
Fill out the form below and our Human Resources team will be in touch soon!