The General Manager is a key member of the network leadership team and is responsible for driving, promoting and developing success strategies within the Brown West account. The General Manager will serve as the face of the company with his/her customer to include, but not limited to: leading quarterly business reviews, establishing budgetary requirements, and directly working with Sales/Marketing to organically grow the account. The position will ensure synergies are aligned between operations and shared services in support of company goals and objectives. The position will serve as the liaison with the business-critical customer representative(s) as well as with other suppliers and service providers for that customer. The General Manager will be responsible for developing and maintaining standardized tools and templates to ensure his/her site is tour/audit-ready at all times. The General Manager will embrace the Core Values personally, and he/she will proactively advocate those values throughout the Company. The General Manager will promote healthy bench strength initiatives and team building within his/her area of responsibility. He/she will be responsible for all aspects of operational execution to include, but not limited to: labor scheduling and supervision, quality and continuous improvement initiatives, proper utilization of space/resources/equipment, financial responsibility, service level expectations, KPI performance, and the safety/security of all resources to include property, equipment and peoples. He/she will work collaboratively with his/her peers as needed to bring standardization throughout all entities within the BAL network. Direct reports will include the site Operations Manager, Inventory Control, Quality/Security/Safety Supervisor, and Clerical/Admin.
- Lead/Manage all facets of Operational Excellence within the operation: Safety, Quality, Bench Strength, Communication and Financial Management.
- Oversee all warehouse services to ensure company and customer requirements are met to include, but not limited to receiving, storing, handling, shipping, return/damaged goods, maintenance, and administrative activities.
- Oversee job assignments and developmental needs at each level of the organization
- Complete performance reviews in timely manner
- Administer disciplinary actions in accordance with company policy
- Administer positive/exceptional job performance as warranted
- Makes staffing decisions as necessary with consult of manager and shared services
- Drive root cause analysis for monthly financial reconciliations.
- Capture data daily; maintain content and format; distribute monthly
- Establish and maintain safe work environments through empowered Safety Team.
- Ensuring site is tour-ready at all times through 5-S standardization.
- Maintain a professional and courteous relationship with all customer-partners, vendor-partners, and internal business partners.
- Ensure current and accurate inventory control for the customer’s material.
- Develop and implement effective receiving operations that delivers accurate put-away and inventory accuracy.
- Ensure effective and efficient utilization of storage space.
- Deliver targeted financial, operational and KPI results on monthly basis.
- Oversee the site’s supervision management of job assignments and operational activities
- Direct site’s supervision to achieve prescribed objectives based on internal and customer KPI’s
- Develop/oversee productive work teams by creating programs for hiring, training, and continuous improvement
- Apply sound communication, performance measurement, and motivational techniques
- Create programs in conjunction with HR resources to coach, discipline, and reward employees
- Maintain appropriate performance evaluation system; recommend promotions, wage increases, and terminations (with HR involvement)
- Promote healthy bench strength initiatives and team building throughout the operation.
- Ensure accurate and timely preparation, processing, distribution, and retention of all necessary reports, KPIs and records regarding site operations
- Work with Safety Dept to develop, implement, and direct programs to ensure the safety of all personnel, property and equipment
- Follow all company and customer incident reporting requirements
- Provide safety instruction to personnel as needed
- Oversee all necessary equipment adjustments and repairs
- Ensure customer’s products are safely, correctly, and efficiently stored
- Maintain strict pest and rodent control
- Ensure compliance with appropriate local, state, and federal regulations
- Responsible for working with the customer to ensure the site is properly maintained.
- Work with Signatory to maintain integrity of the badging process
- Regularly review and test all site security processes and procedures
- Maintain a courteous and professional relationship with all customer’s representatives
- Maintain a courteous and professional relationship with customer’s vendors and suppliers
- Audit operations to ensure service and KPI performance standards are met
- Establish customer relations training for all front-line personnel
- Work with all other internal Shared Services departments to ensure overall effectiveness of the site
- Timely response and follow up with the customer promptly
- College degree required OR equivalent work experience
- Prefer business, supply chain, materials, or logistics curriculum
- Five to eight years of management experience with minimum of three years of management experience in 3PL environment
- Five, or more, years demonstrated management experience in a 25+ person, multiple shift, >200K square footprint, and >$150K/month revenue site
- Prefer background in Lean/Six-Sigma practices and/or Green-Belt experience
Knowledge and Skills
- Broad knowledge of warehouse operations and WMS technology
- Familiarity with inventory control concepts and material handling equipment
- Effective communication and listening skills
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, and MS PowerPoint
- Deep understanding of relationship between revenue, expense, and profitability
- Demonstrated record of delivering profit
- Must demonstrate responsible work habits and satisfy pre-employment requirements, including background check and drug screen
Environmental and Physical Requirements
- Duties include administrative functions involving use of telephone and computer
- Must be able to sit a minimum of eight (8) hours per day, perform keyboard operations a minimum of six (6) hours per day, and must be able to stand/climb stairs as required
- Position may be exposed to heavy duty tractors and trailers, gas and diesel engines, maintenance areas, shipping and receiving docks, material handling equipment, warehouse personnel, and OTR drivers
- This job will require occasional lifting of no more than 50 pounds.
- Moderate travel time, 20%.
- This position will be located in proximity to locations associated with the specific client.